Thursday, August 20, 2009

After a Day of Fun and Learning

I'm very surprised that after my day of exploration into the ancient world that I managed to write so much as a page. My mind is bubbling with all the historical items I saw and I feel as though I am on a Historical high. (I figure that if one can get high from plants and sugar, then one could just as easily feel the same effects from history). 

The things I saw today! We, being my mum and I, were privileged enough to view the Dead Sea Scrolls -personally I was fawning more over the temples and other historical items that were from the era of the Dead Sea Scrolls than the scrolls themselves. Not to say they weren't interesting, but I am fickle when it comes to those sorts of things. After an hour in the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit, we spent a good hour exploring Ancient China, Korea, and Japan.

Such beautiful works of art in those exhibits! Everything from the statues to the jade work and even the armor were works of art. Looking at it all made me feel as though I had died and gone to heaven! And then we went off to look at something that I had been DYING to view. The Egyptian Book of the Dead... or at least pieces from it. 

They had full translated pages of prayers and offerings that were said or made during the burial process and the mummification; it was breathtaking. I also never knew that the ROM had so many mummies. There were two human -one that was perfectly preserved and one from before the mummification process that was not so well preserved- and quite a few mummified animals; like hawks, crocodiles, and ibis'. Mummifying animals that represented certain gods -like a hawk for Horus- was almost like sacrificing the animal to that particular god.

We were also told -by a automative tour device- that the Bust of Cleopatra would be in the egyptian exhibit... though we never found her... or at least not in the Egyptian exhibit. We DID, however, find her in the gift shop... we suspect the museum was hiding her on us. 

I'm greatly pleased at how this day turned out. 5 hours at the ROM, one hour and one page of writing. Not to mention, I got a good deal of reading in today as well. 

Well, it's getting late on my end and I will try to wake up early so that I can write a bit more before my doctor's appointment and work.

Happy reading!

K. A. Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment